The Spotswood Board of Education provides transportation to students within Spotswood and Helmetta based on N.J.A.C. 6A:27-1.4 which defines a district’s responsibility for students who must be transported. It relates that transportation shall be provided to:
- Public school students who reside remote from their assigned school of attendance;
- Nonpublic school students who reside remote from their school of attendance and meet the eligibility criteria of N.J.A.C. 6A:27-2.2;
- Special education students who reside remote from their assigned school or who require transportation services in accordance with their individualized education program (IEP);
- Preschool students who live remote from their school of attendance and either are enrolled in a universal preschool program or meet the age and income eligibility requirements of and are enrolled in a targeted preschool program pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:7F-43 et seq.
The wording, “remote from their assigned school of attendance” is defined in N.J.A.C. 6A:27-1.4 as:
- beyond two and one-half miles for high school students (grades nine through 12)
- beyond two miles for elementary school students (grades preschool through eight)
In determining this distance, N.J.A.C. 6A:27-1.4 also specifies that measurement of the route share be determined by:
- The shortest route along public roadways or public walkways between the entrance of the student’s residence nearest such public roadway or public walkway and the nearest public entrance of the school which the student attends
The district will use Google Maps to calculate such distances.